Yesterday we went to the RE for a consult. It was a really uneventful meeting, in which we reviewed my pregnancy, birth, and postpartum cycles. We asked about my luteal phase, which is a little shorter than previous, but since it was over 10 days, he said he wasn't terribly concerned but we could check progesterone the next cycle. He doesn't care at all that I am nursing (yay!) and seemed at times more interested in Natalie* than the boring details of my seeming lack of fertility problems. The basic conclusion was keep on keeping on with IUIs, avoid fertility drugs, don't bother triggering... just wait a few more cycles and see what happens. Which, frankly, is legit since we have only tried two times this go-round.
So last night I was mildly grumpy, having irrationally hoped that either the magic of having an RE appointment would make me pregnant (we tested yesterday a.m. - nope, at least not as of 9 dpo) or that the RE would have some magic wand to offer us. But the logical part of my brain realized that there is no magic wand and we do just have to wait.
Aaaand then, when we were getting ready for bed, there it was. Blood. Ok, no big deal, game is over for this cycle. But this time it's 9 dpo, which seems to say that there may indeed be a luteal phase issue. A few seconds later, however, Cait realized that my temperature had gone UP that morning, which seemed odd to us both. And this morning, it went up AGAIN, but I am still bleeding. So we have tested with two different tests this morning, which of course smirk at us with big ole glaring whiteness.
I mean, I guess we can just chalk this up to postpartum weirdness. But it leaves us hanging about what to do next -- and the temp rise has us wondering if I might have conceived but implantation failed due to progesterone issues. Do we take a cycle off (even though the third insem has been the successful one each of our preceding attempts)? Do more testing? Try preemptive progesterone? Argh. Yesterday afternoon, the prospect of just slogging through a few more cycles and waiting until it worked seemed frustrating enough. Now that seems like a delightful course of action compared to all this uncertainty and the possibility of a problem. And of course, we are almost out of sperm, but that's a subject for another post.
UPDATE: Bleeding stopped early this morning and hasn't returned. Caught between stupid hope that it was implantation bleeding, and the pessimistic voice that says that surely temps will crash and full bleeding will start tomorrow. Nothing to do but wait.
*Yes, we were THOSE PEOPLE and brought N. to the RE's. That's actually what I planned to blog about but that will have to wait.