Thursday, October 11, 2007

WTF? Updated

I am cranky, confused, and frustrated. While this makes some bloggers hysterically funny (and I daresay made even me entertaining back in the day) right now it's taken all the creativity right out of me. So this is what you're getting.

Yesterday we went to the RE for a consult. It was a really uneventful meeting, in which we reviewed my pregnancy, birth, and postpartum cycles. We asked about my luteal phase, which is a little shorter than previous, but since it was over 10 days, he said he wasn't terribly concerned but we could check progesterone the next cycle. He doesn't care at all that I am nursing (yay!) and seemed at times more interested in Natalie* than the boring details of my seeming lack of fertility problems. The basic conclusion was keep on keeping on with IUIs, avoid fertility drugs, don't bother triggering... just wait a few more cycles and see what happens. Which, frankly, is legit since we have only tried two times this go-round.

So last night I was mildly grumpy, having irrationally hoped that either the magic of having an RE appointment would make me pregnant (we tested yesterday a.m. - nope, at least not as of 9 dpo) or that the RE would have some magic wand to offer us. But the logical part of my brain realized that there is no magic wand and we do just have to wait.

Aaaand then, when we were getting ready for bed, there it was. Blood. Ok, no big deal, game is over for this cycle. But this time it's 9 dpo, which seems to say that there may indeed be a luteal phase issue. A few seconds later, however, Cait realized that my temperature had gone UP that morning, which seemed odd to us both. And this morning, it went up AGAIN, but I am still bleeding. So we have tested with two different tests this morning, which of course smirk at us with big ole glaring whiteness.

I mean, I guess we can just chalk this up to postpartum weirdness. But it leaves us hanging about what to do next -- and the temp rise has us wondering if I might have conceived but implantation failed due to progesterone issues. Do we take a cycle off (even though the third insem has been the successful one each of our preceding attempts)? Do more testing? Try preemptive progesterone? Argh. Yesterday afternoon, the prospect of just slogging through a few more cycles and waiting until it worked seemed frustrating enough. Now that seems like a delightful course of action compared to all this uncertainty and the possibility of a problem. And of course, we are almost out of sperm, but that's a subject for another post.

UPDATE: Bleeding stopped early this morning and hasn't returned. Caught between stupid hope that it was implantation bleeding, and the pessimistic voice that says that surely temps will crash and full bleeding will start tomorrow. Nothing to do but wait.


*Yes, we were THOSE PEOPLE and brought N. to the RE's. That's actually what I planned to blog about but that will have to wait.

11 Comments:

  • I'm not sure about the temping -- I don't remember what mine did after ovulation on cycles that worked or didn't.

    I do however have implantation bleeding and I can assure you that for me it's nothing like the Internets tells you it is. For me, it's more like I'm having my period though usually a day or two shorter (2 instead of 4) and not quite as heavy as usual (but almost). And if what you're having now is that...you'd be getting negative tests for a couple more days. So maybe?

    If it were me, and this cycle didn't work, I think I would take a cycle off to make sure all progesterone issues are in line so as to save the sperm for when it can be the most useful? Here's hoping you don't have to think about that!

    By Blogger Miss W, at 9:23 AM  

  • Argh. So frustrating. Good luck figuring it out. Hopefully it will be soon.

    By Blogger Jody, at 10:28 AM  

  • Now remember I am one of those girls that likes to say YES to drugs and intervention, but IF this cycle is a nogo (& seriously, I am so so hoping for double lines for you guys) I would go right into another trying cycle but add progesterone. It's one of those can't hurt, might help things that is not as extreme as other drugs.

    xoxo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:31 AM  

  • As much as I try to avoid hope for myself, I can't help hoping for you. It's only 10dpo, girlfriend! It's still a bit early for an HPT to be the be-all and end-all. That temp rise ought to mean something....

    By Blogger Summer, at 10:45 AM  

  • Temp rise is pretty important... I wouldn't count pg out yet. If it's a nogo, then probably get prog. levels tested because of bleeding at 9 dpo.
    But I will tell you that my period was wacky in terms of timing and heaviness for at least the first 6 months after I got it back. I think I got it back at about 11 months into nursing, even though I continued to nurse my boys pretty substantially up to 17 months.
    Anyway, I'm sorry it's frustrating, and I hope it works out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:01 PM  

  • that last comment was me, lagiulia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:02 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger BitchenStitchen, at 8:35 PM  

  • I'm a long-time reader/lurker, and just wanted to let you know that out there in cyber space, one stranger-chick is so rooting for you! I have no helpful advice to offer, just my whole hearted good wishes! Oh, and to add that your daughter is just ridiculously CUTE!

    By Blogger BitchenStitchen, at 8:36 PM  

  • Going through a similar thing here with the is it implantation spotting or is it a period? If its a period, why is it showing up 4-5 days early?

    But, this is my second pp cycle where my period has decided to arrive 4-5 days early so I've just chalked it up to the new pp, nursing cycles normal.

    I've hearding nurslings can tell sometimes before mamas and pg tests so if you notice major changes in N. or her nursing then it could be a sign too!

    I'm crossing my fingers for you!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:49 PM  

  • Wait a few more days and test again. Generally, from implantation it takes 3-5 for a bfp.

    By Blogger Kimmyann, at 6:02 PM  

  • Hmmm...that's interesting. We HAVE been wondering what's going on with Natalie, as her nighttime sleep has gone to hell, and she's VERY attached to Jen the last week or so. It could just be a developmental phase, or perhaps she's noticing something...

    By Blogger Cait, at 7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home