Good Friday? The Jury's Out - Part 2
Noteworthy item #2: We met with Dr. Reserved (our RE) today, and the outcome of the appointment didn't please anyone. The conventional thinking on partial molar pregnancies these days is that you need to wait 6 months after your beta is negative to try again, as a precaution against the small but real possibility of recurrence. However, from all the Googling I've done, there's no evidence that the risk of repeat moles changes at 3, 6 or 12 months. It's not until you get to some absurd timeframe like 3 years that the risk drops appreciably -- and we're talking about a risk of less than 1% to begin with. I'm willing to wait a few months to allow my body to recover and for the methotrexate to clear completely, but any longer than that seems cruel and unjustifiable.
Armed with this knowledge, Cait and I went into the appointment with the intention of trying to get him to agree to 3 months instead of 6, but apparently he came into the meeting with the idea that we were going to debate 6 vs. 12. Guess who won? He was willing to listen up to a point but did not want to budge on 6 months. He finally said to me, "I'm going to cut this off or we're going to keep going in circular arguments." I kept asking him to justify the need for the extended wait, and he couldn't/wouldn't provide one, but said that it was the standard of care and he had a responsibility as a physician to be prudent. I showed him a Japanese article that suggests shorter waiting times don't lead to worse outcomes, but he was dismissive, saying different countries have different approaches.
He did agree to double-check with a colleague and see if he would support a shorter wait - but since this is the guy who's been advising him all along and we haven't liked his input much so far, we are not hopeful. However, the receptionist saw how upset I was when we went back to the waiting room and got Nurse Cheery to meet with us (behind closed doors) and she said she'd try to get another doc in the practice to weigh in and possibly help our cause. So there's some hope, but it looks like there's a strong possibility we won't get to insem again until September or October -- one year after the D&C.
I would just like someone to provide a rational explanation of how the extra wait can benefit me. I only see the harm.