Thursday, September 01, 2005

Criminals go free, but...

What is this world coming to? I was frustrated a few years ago when grocery stores and drug stores started keeping expensive goods (electronics, mostly) behind the customer service counter to prevent theft, but it seemed understandable and I wasn't really affected by it as I usually buy my electronics at electronic stores (shocking -- ha!ha! -- but true). The subsequent imprisonment of OPKs and HPTs inconvenienced and embarrassed me to a much greater degree, but I grudgingly went along with it as the drugstore was the simplest place to add to my stash, especially (ahem) at 10:30 or so at night.

However, steam is shooting out of my ears this very moment, because now CVS has chosen to jail DEODORANT. Yup, that's right, deodorant. $2.00 basic hygeine products. WHAT. THE. FUCK?!?!?

8 Comments:

  • Oh. My. God. Don't tell me - deodorant is now a main ingredient in meth... Will we have to flash our ID and limit how many we can buy on each shopping trip??

    By Blogger Sara, at 6:59 PM  

  • I realized later that it's probably a sophisticated crime prevention strategy. "When deodorant is illegal, only criminals will smell good." Or something.

    By Blogger Jen, at 7:10 AM  

  • you live near a crazy CVS I think! I mean, ours has diabetic testing supplies behind locked glass... all I can think about the huge & open condom/family planning/pg test section that is WIDE OPEN is that they want the population controlled here more than there!

    COuldn't you have gone ape on them and the been all "sorry... pregnancy hormones.. maybe you should unlock the deodorant though" and it would have made them think twice ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:20 AM  

  • At grocery stores in Los Angeles, condoms and pregnancy tests are locked up side-by-side at the front of the store, next to the cigarettes and the booze. Kind of ironic, in a way. If you want to buy these things, you have to get a manager to unlock the case in front of all the lines of bored people only looking for something to ogle.

    By Blogger LJ, at 2:59 PM  

  • It's not crazy, it's "urban". And it's not the only one around here. I don't live in the part of the city where clerks are behind plexiglass walls (thank God!) but it seems that companies are becoming more willing to treat ALL of their customers like criminals these days no matter what part of the city you live in. Grrr.

    By Blogger Jen, at 4:40 PM  

  • Oh dear lord... nice.
    We have a lot of things locked up around here... mostly high ticket stuff or things to make meth. But deodorant... that's taking it kinda far.

    By Blogger Estelle, at 6:36 PM  

  • I guess I haven't lived *in* the city in a long time - but I don't recall the CVS near school (very urban) having things locked up... I think if that happens near me I will have to start going online for more and more stuff. I get embarrassed too easily...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:50 AM  

  • What do you expect? CVS didn't want to give me birth control last year.

    By Blogger lorem ipsum, at 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home