Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Comfortably Numb

When I do something, I like to do it well. I have been accused from time to time of being an overachiever. And apparently, this applies even to pregnancy symptoms. Oh, I'm a little nauseous, a bit tired (and Cait LOVES this, it puts me more at her speed), and um, grumpy as hell. That's par for the course. The part that's over the top?

The carpal tunnel syndrome. Or, to be more precise, the ulnar tunnel syndrom (because, in addition to overachieveing, I like to be unique). Pregnant women often experience pain, numbness and tingling in their hands and fingers due to swelling IN THE THIRD TRIMESTER. Me? Started at 5 weeks, 5 days. My GP says (with an evil, gleeful grin on her face*) "You worked really hard for this! You'll probably have it the whole time. Heck, I had it WORSE for 8 weeks POST-partum."

Whining aside, I am actually pleased at this, because NOTHING like this happened last time. Nor the dizziness that plagues me most of the day. These symptoms, much more than the ultrasounds, the betas, or the statistics, make me think this one might just work out. So keep on tingling, fingers. (But not so much I can't post, ok?)

*I do love her. Really. Anyone else have a doctor who can call them a "freak" and laugh? She's like a friend, not just a doctor.

1 Comments:

  • Lurker here...so happy for you. I had carpal tunnel with both of my pregnancies...the second time starting at around 4 weeks. My arms still tingle and I still have symptoms 2 years later. Have the cutest little curly haired tyke to show for it though. Well worth it....Good luck to you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home