Thursday, August 03, 2006

Third Time's a Charm

Three years ago today, Cait and I had just gotten married. We were preparing to leave for our honeymoon, and I was already in the doghouse. Yes, a mere one day into the marriage. (It's a long story, involving ironing pants and Cait being trapped in the downstairs bathroom. Ask me some other time when things are slow, ok?)

Two years ago today, we were on vacation with my family. We were newly pregnant and excited. Little did we know what lay ahead.

One year ago today, we were on vacation with my family. We were newly pregnant and nervous. We hung out with my brother and his fiancee and fed pickles to seagulls.

Today, we played with our amazingly wonderful, sunshiny girl. We took her to my mom's in the afternoon, and then left for 2 1/2 hours for our first date since her birth. We both sat in the front seat. We ate divine food without interruption. We realized we had no idea what to talk about, as our conversation for the past three years has revolved around getting pregnant, staying pregnant, being pregnant, or having a baby. So, we talked about Natalie, and tried to remember what we did before we began the whole crazy process of trying to have her. We missed her.

After our lavish meal we dashed through a tremendous rainstorm to the car and returned to my mom's to find that Natalie had been wailing inconsolably for the last 20 minutes. We assumed she was overtired, and began trying to soothe her to sleep. After several minutes, she looked up and, finally realizing that we were both back, began hiccuping her way towards calm. Within minutes she was smiling, chattering and trying to eat our noses. She missed us.

This anniversary beats the others by miles. If only we never had to leave her. Anyone got a spare million to donate to the Jen and Cait Never Go Back to Work Fund?

14 Comments:

  • Happy Anniversary!!
    I loved the photos. Your wedding photo is beautiful- but the one of you on your date just made me smile!

    By Blogger Calliope, at 11:47 PM  

  • Happy anniversary guys! I'm glad your date went well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:00 AM  

  • Happy Anniversary! ;)

    By Blogger Ash, at 9:00 AM  

  • Happy Anniversary! I think that wedding picture is one of the most beautiful wedding pictures I have ever seen. It touched me. I am galad your life has turned around.

    By Blogger Krista, at 9:52 AM  

  • Happy anniversary, Jen and Cait! Your wedding picture made me say "awww." You've got my best wishes for many, many more happy years together.

    It's awfully hard not talking about the kid on dates, isn't it? Vince and I gave up on it years ago. We'll talk about the boy when we're out to dinner alone, but still appreciate the fact that there is not a single crayon or juice box on the table.

    Where did you have dinner? That food does look awfully good.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:03 PM  

  • Happy anniversary!
    I absolutely missed Charlie on our first date without him. And we talked about... Charlie.
    It's inevitable.

    By Blogger Estelle, at 1:58 PM  

  • Happy Anniversary! I don't know what looked more scrumptious, the food or Natalie? (And I'm on a diet, so that's saying a lot!) I wish you many more wonderful years together! Oh, and now you absolutely have to tell your doghouse story...perspiring minds want to know..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:09 PM  

  • Happy anniversary!

    If you get enough money in that non-working-fund....let me know how you did it because we'd both kill to be home all the time :)

    By Blogger Miss W, at 5:15 PM  

  • Happy anniversary!!!!!

    By Blogger Shelli, at 9:46 PM  

  • Happy anniversary, you two! The photos were great (I love a photo story!) and the wedding photo...sniff. You're both so beautiful!

    Happy 3 years, and wishing you many many more.

    By Blogger Elowyn, at 3:14 PM  

  • Happy (Belated) Anniversary!!

    By Blogger Sara, at 9:04 PM  

  • I love the wedding photo. More please?
    Glad you two had a date. We parents need one of those once in a while...

    By Blogger lagiulia, at 3:14 PM  

  • Oh, and Happy Anniversary! (how rude of me!)

    By Blogger lagiulia, at 3:15 PM  

  • Heh - I just looked in my bank account and I might NEED to go back to work! ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home