Sunday, September 02, 2007

Floodwatch?

Ok, I really need some help here. One of the multiple intelligences in which I definitely fall into the special needs category is fashion. I don't get it (as many of you who know me in person probably realize). My coping strategies include 1) not caring and 2) buying clothes as infrequently as possible. But even I am getting sick of my limited wardrobe these days, and therefore tried to buy some clothes today. However, shopping with a feisty 16 month old does not lend itself to sucks, even when you have twice as many adults as toddler(s), so I just hurled clothes into the cart at 60 MPH and tried them on when I got home.

I purchased three different pairs of pants, one of which was marked cropped. I hate cropped pants and sleeves, but I thought I would give that one pair a try because it might be dressier than shorts for those occasions where it's too hot to wear pants. However, all of them end somewhere rather south of my knee but also north of my ankle. And yet, none of them are what I envisioned as cropped. In fourth grade, these high-waters would have gotten me teased mercilessly.

So, my questions for you:
Are pants like these in now?
Will they be out next week making me look like the fashion-impaired dork I am?
Is there some rule about seasons for cropped pants? Will the fashion police arrest me if I wear them in September? How about December, what with global warming and all?
What the hell kind of shoes do I wear with them? Do I wear socks?
Should I just chuck it all and return the lot?

My inner fourth grader, who was teased all year about various clothing choices, thanks you very much in advance for any help you can provide.

7 Comments:

  • Tall boots! Not UGGly ones, not galoshes. Not thigh high boots either. Here's a blog about this very issue:
    http://iamfashion.blogspot.com/2005/11/winter-cropped-pants.html

    I'm sorry the whole summer went by and we didn't get our girls together. Maybe the grandmas can host a playdate during the school year?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:10 PM  

  • Ok, go and look at Louisa's link. THAT is what I think of when I think of cropped. But the pants I got look more like they're just too short for me, not cropped. I can't figure them out.

    By Blogger Jen, at 10:21 PM  

  • I hate cropped pants. It does not help that I have a long torso and absurdly short fat legs. So I always have the "too short pants or too long crops" look with cropped pants. And they make my short fat legs look shorter and fatter. There. I feel better now. Louisa's right, they can be worn in winter with high boots. But I'd rather not.

    By Blogger terri c, at 11:34 PM  

  • ohhh- you are brave. Crop pants scare me. I think being tall I have always had a problem with pants being the wrong length and crop pants just feed into that.

    sorry- I have no advice!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:17 AM  

  • I think the length you are thinking of is called capri, not cropped...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 AM  

  • on your height, Jen, I'd say a good pair of cropped pants should come about 2 inches above the ankle, and should be a hemmed, wide leg. Anything else might not look right on you.

    But I think sandals, or keds-style tennies, with NO socks, or those cropped socks, with no ankle...
    I picture you more like the LL Bean kind of cropped pants gal, not hte audrey hepburn stiletto and black cropped pants style.

    but they MUST be strait leg - NOT tapered, otherwise, then they do look too short, and silly. But a STRAIGHT leg can look nice. And you totally have the height for it!

    By Blogger Shelli, at 9:12 PM  

  • If you feel funny in them, Jen, take them back. No amount of advice from the internets is going to change the way you feel when you look at yourself in the mirror.

    But since you asked about the fashion in general... IMO, capris and cropped pants are still in style. I prefer a capri that ends mid-calf. I'm wearing them, at least. In the winter, I'll wear them with tall boots (generally w/a pointy toe and heel), but in the summer they're perfect with sandals or flats. No socks, please, you'll just wind up visually cutting your legs in too many places. If you want to wear sneakers with them, go for cute "fashion" sneakers (the mary jane styles are nice) rather than gym shoes.

    Of course, I am so short I have been known to buy pants marked "cropped" that were full-length pants on me.

    By Blogger Summer, at 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home