Friday, November 09, 2007

No News but Not Looking Good

Well, today is 14 DPO and we're in stasis. No bleeding, no symptoms, no positive test. I'm pretty sure this will change soon and the cycle will be over. The good news is that my cycles seem to be getting more normal: 11 day LP in cycle 1, 12 day LP in cycle 2 and 13 or more this cycle, depending when bleeding commences.

Yes, I know it's possible that I could still be pregnant. But I really have no reason to believe that. What's that principle about the simplest explanation? Every pregnancy and chemical pregnancy I've had in the past has shown up on a test WAY BEFORE 14 dpo. It is remotely possible that I am pregnant but just haven't gotten a positive test, but the far more likely answer is that I am not and that's why the tests lay on the counter with their single lines smirking sullenly in our general direction.

We've had The Talk a couple of times in the past few days and although we don't know exactly where we want to go from here, we're pretty clear that we're not ready to force Natalie to wean (and dear god it would be a battle. this child LOVES to nurse. mere words cannot express), but we are worried that breastfeeding is part of the equation even though the RE is unconcerned. The most likely outcome is that we'll take a break for a month or two (most likely two because I am likely to ovulate in December when we'd be out of town for the holidays).

So that's the glum report from our house.

9 Comments:

  • I'm sorry that this month is not turning out as you hoped it would (although you are right, it is never completely over 'till it's over). You both sound as though you are staying (at least moderately) sane through this whole process and I know that is no easy feat. I'm hoping that if you are not pregnant, you can at least do something really nice for yourself this weekend--

    By Blogger sara, at 8:22 AM  

  • Ugh. So sorry.

    I completely support your decision not to wean yet. If I were not turning 38 this month, I wouldn't have weaned Noah, I'd have waited a couple of months.

    I like the explanation my RE gave yesterday. Every time you nurse, you get a "pulse" of prolactin. If you aren't nursing much, it probably isn't enough to prevent pregnancy. But what we don't know is how sensitive I am or you are to those pulses. Given a world of expensive and finite supplies of sperm, waiting starts to make more sense.

    It still breaks my heart every time Noah asks to nurse. Which he does every couple of days.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:18 AM  

  • Big hugs. Hang in there.

    By Blogger pookchop, at 11:13 AM  

  • man. what a fricken mind trip.
    So willing a 2nd line to show up.
    lots of love to you.
    xoxo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:16 PM  

  • So sorry it isn't happening the way you would like. It must be so hard to think about weaning when your child loves nursing. By the time we weaned, they were both using a bottle a lot and much less interested than before, so it was very smooth. I was the one who cried! There's a lot to think about, obviously. Love to your family, and much luck in figuring it out.
    -laG

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:27 PM  

  • Where's your sense of adventure? I think all the road trips with sperm in coolers to various destinations helped ;-)

    And, yeah, I *completely* understand and support not weaning. MILK is a very popular word in our house - it is how I am greeted after a long day of work and after a too short night of sleep!

    By Blogger party b, at 2:12 PM  

  • i'm sorry things aren't looking better...this all sucks so much.

    but still holding onto my sliver of optimism unless it becomes time to move on.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:41 PM  

  • Oh damn.

    Sigh.

    By Blogger Jody, at 3:27 PM  

  • Not glum at all, Natalie is still quite young, you have more fertile years in you, more swimmers in the freezer, a wonderful family. I know its disappointing but the time just isnt right. Relax, enjoy your family this Christmas and get back to work in January.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home