Thursday, December 01, 2005

Giving the Child Reasons to Hate Us...

An essential part of the nighttime routine at the house of AdProb is trying to feel Harpo move. Jen gets to feel him throughout the day, of course, but I still can only feel anything when Jen is lying still, since the kid's not that big yet. It requires some patience. I place my hand on Jen's belly and then sit...and wait... Eventually I'll feel a sufficient quantity of nudges or bumps to fall asleep happy.

Last night I was a little harder to please. I started poking at Jen's belly.
"Hey, kid! Wake up and play with me! C'mon!"
THWACK! Harpo's reply made Jen's belly bounce.
Jen joined in the game. Poke, poke...
THWACK!
I could almost hear the kid: "Dammit mother, leave me alone! I'm tryin' to sleep in here!"

Needless to say, I fell asleep happy.

8 Comments:

  • I can TOTALLY picture the poke poke, thwack, thwack!

    Thanks for the visual. I, too, shall sleep happy now...

    xoxoxo,
    S

    By Blogger Shelli, at 9:50 PM  

  • Hee hee. What a funny picture.

    Cait is already playing the role psychologists normally reserve for a "father" - playful teasing, roughish play, and encouraging risk taking. (poking the baby, and getting baby to poke Jen = could be risky.)

    word verification of the day: pmelyaqg

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 AM  

  • I remember getting so impatient with our sleepy fetus and poking at her and how thrilled I was when she kicked back. It made the whole pregnancy thing start seeming real. I mean, real in that there was actually a person-like thing in there capable of responding to stimuli and playing!

    By Blogger Trista, at 10:02 AM  

  • Harpo is SO gonna be a rocket!

    By Blogger Calliope, at 10:03 AM  

  • um I mean rockette...
    :)
    But s/he can be a rocket too if s/he wants.

    By Blogger Calliope, at 10:04 AM  

  • Funny image!

    Now that my belly is giant and distended, Jill is much more into playing with it -- crouching in a basketball stance and grabbing both sides, poking, etc.

    I'm not such a fan. Sure, it's the closest thing we have to a baby yet, and I get how much fun that is, but it is still MY BELLY. And I am NOT a fan of being poked! Smudge doesn't seem to mind, though.

    I'm more for the "ok, just quietly rest your hand there and in the next 5-10 minutes, he'll kick or something and you'll feel it," school of interacting with him.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:25 AM  

  • Parents have to learn early on how to irritate their kids properly, you know. It's good to see you perfecting your talents. =)

    By Blogger deanna, at 1:00 PM  

  • I personally like it when you see the belly move like in that Alien movie.

    Sleep well you three!

    By Blogger Sophia, at 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home