Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Hairs to You

Yes, indeed, we went to the Aveda Institute again today. Without further ado, here are the before and afters of our Aveda trips:

CAIT



JEN


(Not the best pictures in the world by any means!)

Cait's take on the whole Aveda experience is two thumbs up. She says she wished she had done something more dramatic but was unsure of what to expect from a student. Having seen Cait get a very good haircut, I did feel ok going with a big change, and I had a photo of an old haircut that I wanted to go back to. My cheapskate heart is very glad I went, and the scalp & shoulder massage was excellent, but I'm not yet sure what I think of the haircut. Plus, it felt like I got THREE haircuts - first she took off a lot of length (painstakingly), then she shaped it, after which I said it did not look like the photo I showed her, so she reshaped it. But it's always hard for me to judge a haircut the first day. We'll see what I think after I wash it.

We do wish that Natalie hadn't been so insistent on getting HER hair styled...

12 Comments:

  • Short hair really suits you, Jen. Cait's is lovely as well. You have to tell me more about this aveda institute (where? how? whats the deal?) as I am ignorant. I am waffleing (again) about what to do with my hair.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:24 AM  

  • love the cuts!

    By Blogger Calliope, at 7:50 AM  

  • Wow, Jen, I think your new do is FANTASTIC! It really flatters you. I know it's hard to get used to short hair, but from an objective standpoint, I can tell you that it looks great.
    I like Cait's too. Simply lovely.

    By Blogger lagiulia, at 8:27 AM  

  • I love them both! Jen, yours looks wonderful. I know that the first couple days after "losing your hair" is just a bit weird, but you look fantastic.

    And Natalie, honey, red just isn't your color.

    By Blogger Blondie, at 8:56 AM  

  • Jen I LOVE your hair! It looks like so much fun.

    By Blogger Trista, at 10:44 AM  

  • Jen I love the new do. I also think short hair really suits you, you look great. Too bad about Natalie's reluctance, I thought the short blond updo really suited her :-)

    By Blogger Krista, at 11:36 AM  

  • I agree--the short hair looks great. Cait's is nice also. Aveda has a great reputation. I'd never go to one of our local schools, but you guys got impressive results at Aveda.

    By Blogger hd, at 2:46 PM  

  • Looks wonderful! I think it is getting to be time for me to chop mine again.

    By Blogger Briar, at 3:25 PM  

  • Aveda Institutes are The Best!!! I wish I'd known there was one in DC when I lived there.

    When I was in grad school, I used to drive an hour for my $50 total full-head highlights and a haircut. And they always looked fabulous. They take forever, since the instructors check the student work at every stage, but it was worth it.

    (Besides, I have thick, fine hair. Regular salons aren't that much faster on my hair.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 AM  

  • Great cuts! Wow- Natalie's already dying her hair orange, hm? I wonder what those teen years will bring... ;) -Kate-

    By Blogger starevelina, at 1:30 PM  

  • love it, love it, love it!

    BOTH of your "do's" look FABOO!

    By Blogger Shelli, at 3:08 PM  

  • Thanks for all the compliments and encouragement - they were especially helpful Wednesday morning when I was really not happy with the new 'do. I'm getting used to it.

    Jenny, the Aveda Institute is in Chinatown (take Metro! do not drive!) and a cut is $18!!! The stylists are students, but they are supervised and everyone who's written or commented about them has been very happy with their hairstyling. Plus you get the scalp/shoulder massage... ahh. Google Aveda Institute to get the # and address for the DC place. I do recommend it. (Oh, and there's a HaagenDazs in the same building, which helps if you are not sure you love the cut you just got!)

    By Blogger Jen, at 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home