Monday, August 21, 2006

Trial Run #3

We tried again on Sunday to ease Natalie in to staying with grandma. All three of us went to visit for a few hours, this time equipped with a variety of new kinds of bottles and sippy cups. She was fed and rested (last time we'd tried a little tired and hungry) and quite happy to play with my mom, uncle, and stepfather. But the second my mom crossed the Feeding Line, it was shriek city. Agony ensued for moms and baby. When we took pity on Natalie (and ourselves!) she again went to sleep after eating.

We had to leave before she woke up, so my mother picked her up from the swing where she was napping. Without EVER waking up, she began to wail. She stopped immediately, still totally asleep, the second my mom handed her to Cait. She can tell us apart In. Her. Sleep.

This is going to be a long week.

*For Shelli and others who asked, this is a transitional arrangement. She's with my mom almost 100% for the next three weeks, after which Cait goes to a reduced workweek. At that point Cait will be home two days a week, Natalie will be at my mom's two days a week, and I will be home about once a week for the month of September. In October, we add in ANOTHER caregiver (we're swapping childcare with another family, but that mom doesn't go back to work until October) and the final arrangement will be two days with Cait, one day with Grandma, and two days with J. It's complicated but should be great once everyone adjusts. I just hope we survive the adjusting!

3 Comments:

  • Oh no, you guys. I almost can't imagine it because when we met her it seemed impossible she would cry. I can't imagine how heartbreaking this is for you both.

    By Blogger Katie, at 9:31 AM  

  • If she can realize which pair of loving arms has picked her up in her sleep, maybe it's a smell thing. You could try giving your mom something that smells like you -- a t-shirt you've worn, or a little blanket you've slept with -- to snuggle Natalie with while she's feeding her. I hope this gets easier for all of you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 AM  

  • This must be so hard for you two.

    Summer has good advice, see if the smell thing will help. Or maybe you two could wear something that your mom has worn to get Natalie used to your mother's scent feeding her.

    Good luck. Oh I hope it gets better (though not as much as you're hoping, I'm sure)

    By Blogger Trista, at 3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home