Saturday, April 14, 2007

Thoughts on Birthday Eve

  • In just over 3 hours, it will be exactly a year since Natalie emerged from my womb. I simply don't have the words to capture how amazing and wonderful my daughter is or how much I enjoy my life with her. We are so lucky to have her.
  • The last two months or so have been filled with varying levels of dread as her birthday approached. While I am enchanted with the new developments, abilities, and facets of Natalie's personality that emerge daily, I wish the time weren't passing so quickly. I want to be able to savor this time of wonder but instead it hurtles by like the trains that pass our house every few minutes.
  • Despite my desire to keep things simple, not only are we having a huge party tomorrow, but we also ended up having a second, separate party for family tonight. When we finally closed the door on the last of my family members, I said to Cait, "Tonight was as exhausting and draining as a year ago tonight, only completely different." And I meant it. (Granted, I had a relatively easy labor... but I also have a challenging collection of family members!)
  • In spite of the various bits of grousing I do about my family, I am tremendously indebted to them for the time, love, and yes, material goods they lavish upon us and Natalie*. And I am equally grateful to have such a wonderful collection of friends both on and offline. Together, our friends and family have made this past year truly spectacular. I look forward to many more years of shared laughter and support.
*Except TMX Elmo. (Thanks, Dad!) I'm not so sure about that particular material good. Though I have to admit it is pretty funny the FIRST time.

6 Comments:

  • Happy Birthday, Natalie! Your moms have done a wonderful job this past year -- you are as lucky to have them as they are to have you!

    By Blogger Miss W, at 8:37 AM  

  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

    lots of smooches to you & your Mommies.
    xoxo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:47 AM  

  • Happy Birthday!

    By Blogger Jody, at 8:56 AM  

  • Happy birthday, big girl! Psst!

    By Blogger Brooke, at 9:28 AM  

  • happy birthday, natalie!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:08 PM  

  • Happy Birthday!!!

    By Blogger Hope, at 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home