Monday, October 22, 2007

Ooof.

I just clicked "Agree" to a transaction that is a few dollars short of $3 grand. That is A LOT of money in the house of AddProb these days, but when you're in the donor sperm game, it's par for the course. We are buying 7 more vials of Natalie's donor because it is a one-time opportunity and that is the most we could scrape up cash for. With the two vials we have left in storage after the most recent attempts, we've got a total of nine. We're not terribly concerned with having a full genetic sibling but we think Natalie is so awesome we might as well use the same genetic combo and hope for equally spectacular results. But that doesn't make it any less heartstopping to have pretty much all of our available cash tied up in a few teeny-tiny frosty cylinders downtown. It also means that we have eight tries left (we'd use the last two in an IVF if we got down to the wire) before we have to do a re-evaluation. The finiteness is sobering.

4 Comments:

  • Wow -- I had NO idea donor sperm was quite that much! I'm not sure how much I thought it was, but, just...WOW! Here's hoping it works on your very next attempt leaving you 8 vials more attempts later on :)

    By Blogger Miss W, at 10:28 PM  

  • I know that finite feeling. The last 2 got us Beck. Here's hoping it doesn't get down to that for you guys. I am betting you'll be OK.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:32 PM  

  • Ooh, that's nerve-wracking. I very much hope you don't get down to the wire, too. Who wants to endure one more 2ww than necessary, right? I am still bummed that you needed to buy more at all....

    By Blogger Jody, at 11:30 PM  

  • I too had no idea that sperm was so expensive. I hope you don't need to use it all! It would be ideal to give Nat a full genetic sibling, but even if you used up your whole stash, it wouldn't be the end of the line, right? You could use another donor if you have to... I can assure you, there is no global sperm drought. It's a 100% renewable resource.

    But it's not going to come to that. You're going to get pregnant this month and I'll get to be happily jealous of you and Cait.

    By Blogger Summer, at 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home