Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Indirect Route

I'm glad we didn't continue to blog our road trip via text messages, as we didn't realize they were getting caught in the spam filter. Grrr. The migration to WP will be completed in less than 24 hours, I daresay.

Anyway, we arrived, safe and sound, if a little insane earlier this evening. We did our typical 600 miles in 2 days (stopping over at great-grandma's), with visits to practically every rest stop between points A, B, and C. (A potty training toddler, a rather pregnant mom, and a menstruating mom is NOT a good road trip combo!) Natalie did a great job -- but a great job for a two year old DOES involve a lot of repetitive questioning, insistence on "Natalie music!" at all times, often the same CD, track, or phrase (not always granted), frequent demands to "Eat!", and not much napping at all. Cait and I planned to keep ourselves awake and focused by discussing name options for (not-so?) wee Carbo, but really didn't get much of anywhere (other than Anna... but we couldn't decide on a middle name. One? Two? Onetwothree?).

We did recover from the adrenaline rush and terror of the near-miss at the start of our trip. It was truly terrifying and miraculous. The driver of the SUV lost control of his car, went up on the embankment, struck a very tall (metal) lamppost, and spun across 4 lanes of traffic, slamming into the wall of the underpass and coming to a stop. He did not hit any other vehicles and seemed fine as we drove past (others were stopping to lend aid). The lamppost (at least 40 feet tall) broke in two, hovered above our roof and windshield for a heart-stopping eternity, and then crashed to the shoulder, hitting no one. Natalie was oblivious to the entire incident, I shook and heaved silently for a few minutes after we continued on, and Cait muttered "I can't believe it didn't hit us" repeatedly.

So now we're at Grandma's and we've already paid a visit to Grandpa. We hope to do a lot of relaxing, reading, Samurai Sudoku, and just general hanging out for the next couple of weeks. Midwestern blogfriends, we're also up for getting together - drop us a line if you want to hang out!

Next stop: WP.

8 Comments:

  • Whoa.

    We leave on our own Midwestern road-trip on Tuesday, and I sincerely hope that we are as lucky as you guys. But with fewer bathroom breaks, if that's not too greedy.

    Cued up for listening: The Willoughbys, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Harry Potter 6. Plus a book about dragons whose title I can't remember, Sean Bean reading King Arthur, and D'Aulaire's Greek Myths. (Just giving you hope for the future here....)

    Enjoy the trip. Happy name-debates!

    By Blogger Jody, at 10:31 PM  

  • OY! I'm glad you all are OK!

    I keep trying to import my stuff to WP, but it hasn't all translated yet.

    Ugh.

    By Blogger Shelli, at 10:52 PM  

  • Wowza. Glad the accident wasn't worse. Talk about taking years off of your lives!

    Anna's very nice - it would've been on my short list if not already used in the family.

    WP is great! :D

    By Blogger Elowyn, at 11:24 PM  

  • Scary! And reminds me so much of a scare we had. When I was about 12 weeks pregnant we were driving home from Santa Barbara (we live in L.A.) and a driver lost control ahead of us and swerved across five lanes of traffic, spun around several times, and managed somehow to not hit anyone or anything. My reaction was so strong that I am still kind of amazed by it, three years later. Once it became clear that everything was OK, I began to cry and absolutely couldn't breathe for a few moments. I never wanted to be in a car again as long as I lived, and my husband would up deciding to drive the rest of the way home on surface streets.

    I think Anna is a marvelous name.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 AM  

  • OMG. I'm so glad everybody's okay, and that the rest of the trip was without incident. YIKES.

    By Blogger N, at 8:54 AM  

  • Yikes! Glad everyone is okay. Let that be the most excitement for this trip and each one after it.

    By Blogger pookchop, at 9:37 AM  

  • Wow. Crazy. Bet you were super thankful that Natalie was securely strapped in. Because you at least have the illusion of control with that. Or at least I feel that way.

    Glad you are safe and sound and relaxing. We'll try to figure out if we can get together.

    By Blogger Brooke, at 10:06 AM  

  • Holy hell that is craaaaazy. I'm so glad you are all ok. I am always seeing drivers do stupid things on the beltway, but have never seen one totally lose control like that.

    By Blogger Jenny, at 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home