Thursday, May 19, 2005

Help! Advice Needed!

Ok, guys, I was just offered a school librarian position at another school. I am not sure what to decide. Here are the pros and cons:

NEW SCHOOL
shorter commute (will save 25-40 minutes per day)
2 blocks from my mom's (will do child care one day a week and emergencies)
new building with great facilities
(?)principal is retiring so I would go into a totally unknown situation(?)
have to get to know new staff & new kids
larger school (more classes to see)
experienced assistant & many parent volunteers
less diverse school in all ways (possibly easier management-wise but perhaps not as interesting)
it's my old elementary school! (there's a silly nostalgia bonus for that)

OLD SCHOOL
longer commute
supportive staff & principal (been wonderful during this lousy year)
I'm very connected to some of the kids
I've been here three years and gotten my library media program about 65% of where I want it to be - next year I could go higher
horrible building, very overcrowded, library WAY too small, no renovation for at least 2 more years
diverse school that provides interesting challenges
my assistant is retiring so I'll have to train someone new (and I don't get too much say in who's hired)

My dilemma basically boils down to this: a lot of the positives at the new school relate to having a child. Hopefully, that will be soon, but it might take a while. We didn't have any trouble getting pregnant but so far I'm 0 for 2. I'm worried about making this choice based on something that hasn't happened yet; but I also don't want to be a few years down the road really regretting NOT making the change and wishing I had the extra time with my kid. I don't think either choice would be bad, but the unknowns (new principal or new assistant) in each situation make the decision that much harder.

Please, please, please share your thoughts with me. I need to decide pretty quickly!

8 Comments:

  • GO FOR IT! I started at a a new school this year that's two blocks from my house and has all the child sort of perks like yours. But the closer location has meant and absolute world of difference for my sanity this year. I feel like a whole new person and am so much happier. The beginning of the year stuff was a bit hard to get used to - just meeting new people and new kids - but within a month or two, I was right at home. I have a ton more friends than I had at my last place.

    I also think that being new makes you far less aware of all the political shit at work and that takes a lot of stress away, as well. That's good for the whole ttc thing for sure.

    I am all about new jobs. I think they rock. Especially new library jobs because they are the same everywhere and you don't actually have to reinvent so much - I do mostly the same stuff I've always done but I have more space to do it in.

    I think it's a yes. Obviously.

    By Blogger Briar, at 1:58 PM  

  • Go for it.

    The shorter commute is a benefit to your life now as well as being close to mom might be in the future.

    Not to mention that you'll save money on gas and wear on the car.

    Change is scary especially when you're in some place that for the most part meets your needs but the new gig sounds like a good thing.

    By Blogger HRC-F, at 3:11 PM  

  • Trust your gut! Listen to your heart and you'll know what to do. Good luck with your decision! Finn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:23 PM  

  • i say go for it too! there's nothing worse than wondering if life would have been better if you had taken it...and a shorter commute is worth almost anything, imho.

    becky
    crazy girl in NH

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:12 PM  

  • Do you need to have worked there for a year to get maternity leave? I think FMLA requires a full year's service before you qualify, would that apply in this situation? If you do decide to switch, would this mean you would have to push off the insemination?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:27 AM  

  • brilliant ---->

    Have you done the coin toss yet?

    Make old school = heads and new school = tails. Flip the coin. If you're disappointed with the result, go with the other one.

    By Blogger Display, at 1:51 PM  

  • While there is much to be said for "analysis" of the situation, just look at where you are and decide if you are happy.
    If so, what specifically makes you happy there, and will you be able to find the same things in this other location? If you know what makes you happy about what you do and believe you will find these same qualities in the new location, then go for it. If not, well, then you need to balance the pros and cons.

    Be happy in what you do, and everything else about the job will be secondary. Be unhappy with what you do, everything else about the job can end up turning you into a sour old raisin by the next time you look

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:22 PM  

  • Thanks for the input, everyone!

    It's a transfer within my current school system, so FMLA issues are not a problem. And that also lessens some of the stress of switching, because I already know the curriculum and the processes of the larger institution; I would just have to learn the new people and the peculiarities of this school.

    I am going to make my decision and inform both principals by Monday morning!

    By Blogger Jen, at 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home