Monday, June 06, 2005

What, you wanted an ANSWER?!

So, the beta was negative. End of story, right? WRONG. "But," says Nurse Cheery, "your progesterone is high - 10.1 - so if you don't get your period in 4 or 5 days, take an HPT." Little does she know that telling me to take an HPT is like telling Elvis to eat fried food...

The scoresheet to date:
1 FRER with a faint line both Cait and Jen agree is there (yesterday AM)
3 FRERs with faint lines only Cait is sure about (yesterday AM, PM and this AM)
Occasionally twingey/sensitive breasts
1 cheapie with maybe a faint line according to Cait (last night)
A negative beta
1 cheapie with a faint line, but distinctly darker than all the other HPTs, that other people would agree exists and might even show up in a photograph (this morning)
A soupcon* of grumpiness
A bunch (we won't tell how many) of negative, negative, negative tests taken at various points in the past (ahem) several days.
Higher and more consistent temps than any other post-MC cycle (until the plummet today)
A trashcan full of empty HPT boxes and pee-fouled dinosaur cups
A "high" progesterone level

Oh, and I didn't exactly tell them when I got the beta that I am only, um, 11 DPO. So Nurse Cheery may be basing her interpretation of the progesterone as high on false assumptions. Sooo, it ain't over yet, but we're definitely not holding our breath.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't fuck around with testing early. And, no good can come from peeing on dinosaurs.

EDITED TO ADD: Where'd all the commenters go? You're welcome to jump in and tell me we're loons or we're seeing things. Or tell stories of friends who didn't get a positive HPT until the day they gave birth. Or report on your toenail fungus (ok, maybe not. But on the other hand, I tell you about my pee...). Anyway, I know you guys are out there - I've never had this many site visits in a day before!

*did I say soupcon? I don't speak that language, remember? Doesn't that mean "shitload" in French?

8 Comments:

  • You forgot to mention that we also do not know the exact value of the negative beta, which just adds to the ability to create false hope. ("Some people only have a beta of 4 at 11dpo, and they're still pregnant")

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:41 PM  

  • I'm here, I'm here! Sorry! I had to go to my friend's to watch Six Feet Under (we're stylish, but don't have HBO - go figure!) but I talked about you in the car all the way there... really!

    I wish I could say Wes had come up with some brilliant observation to add, but he was just busy learning today that the luteal phase can sometimes be too short (WHY does he learn these things when women at work chat him up but I try for months and he hears NOTHING???) and was all concerned that mine was too short. So obviously he is behind.

    Keeping you in mind as I vivid-dream tonight.
    -B

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:34 PM  

  • Try doing the digital one, even though your scared. I got a "pregnant" several days prior to when my period was due, after getting two very faint positives on the regular EPT. It reassured me completely to see it in digital.

    By Blogger Amy, at 10:38 PM  

  • My niece never did get a bfp-af was late and other sx's but not bfp. She finally went to the doc thinking something was wrong with her thyroid (and secretly thinking cancer!) and they called her and told her she was pg-she was NINE WEEKS!!!!!!! She now has a healthy 5 month old baby boy.

    Of course this was a 'surprise' and she is blaming a broken condem (yeh, right).

    I'm still holding out hope-I agree with what Cait said-at 11dpo it's barely implanted, hcg could still be really low.

    Good luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:25 PM  

  • I say repeat the beta in a couple of days. You know they consider negative to be under 5 so maybe you had some hcg, just not enough, and they called it a negative. Also, they could've switched samples (hey, it happens!!)

    Hang in there, I'm keeping everything crossed for you!

    By Blogger Ana, at 5:53 AM  

  • Very much wanting this to work for you, I was one of the multiple checkers yesterday hoping for a positive update. Won't uncross my fingers just yet.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:15 AM  

  • Hey there,
    I've been reading your diary...hang in there and good luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:52 PM  

  • In my bathroom cabinet is a test with a line only I can see. I'm trying my best not to test again until -oh hell, I'm trying to hold out as long as I can. Which will likely be tomorrow.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home