Sunday, August 07, 2005

Home...updated

We have returned from Maine and the wilderness of no internet connection. For those of you who were stumped (or intimidated or bored) by our puzzle, here’s a hint: Jen is 4 weeks 5 days pregnant today. For those of you who did solve the puzzle and sent congratulations, thank you.

Here’s the data:
10 dpo: faintly positive HPT (yes, yes, right after the whiny post)
11 dpo: beta of 24, positive on a digital HPT
12 dpo: left town
13 dpo: beta in NYC was 71
14-19 dpo: hung out in Maine, tried not to freak out too much. Told family and close friends, as we will need their support if we have another miscarriage. Were bad and bought a couple of (wicked cheap) baby outfits at the Children’s Place Outlet in Freeport. Please universe, don’t kill us for that.
20 dpo (tomorrow): beta #3 (cross your fingers and send good luck)

We haven’t done any HPTs since the first beta. Pretty restrained for us, no? Actually, we’re both terrified that it will reveal something bad. In the absence of further data we can try to remain positive.

In actuality, I’ve been a bit of a wreck. I realized partway through the week that I was just waiting for the miscarriage and wondering how far we’d get and what happen this time. Somehow my head has taken the one (albeit horrible) experience of pregnancy and loss, and turned it into a lifetime sentence. I’m trying to turn this around. Little glimmers of “maybe it will work this time after all” have started to peek through. But I’m still terrified. Especially with tomorrow’s beta looming.

Jen has been a little more stable, but is also zooming back and forth between “it could work!” and “oh, my god, it’s never going to work.” On the symptom front, she is tired, tired, tired, has sore boobs, is starting to get picky about food, and gets cranky in a way that is very reminiscent of last year’s pregnancy. We’re taking those as good signs, though we know from last year that their presence is not a guarantee that everything is OK.

It’s interesting to go through this after a loss. Last year, there was a lot more excitement, joy, and a feeling that everything was going to be OK. When Jen miscarried, we both knew we would never experience that innocent elation again, but it’s different to actually be in it. Yes, we get excited or hopeful from time to time. But a lot of it, for me anyway, is just hanging on and taking each day that nothing bad happens as one more step. It’s much slower than last year. We’re not even 5 weeks, and it feels like it’s been forever (though that’s partly our own d**n fault for testing early). I wish we could just skip the first trimester. We’ve been through it once before, we know how it goes, so why do we have to go through it again? And what if we have to do it again again?

Did we mention that the due date is exactly the same as last year’s pregnancy? I don’t know whether to be impressed or terrified. Right now, at least, I think I’m leaning toward terrified.

With a teeny, tiny glimmer of hope.

C’mon universe.

Update: Today's beta was 3032. We're done with tests until next Monday, when we have an ultrasound. We're staying cautiously optimistic and are glad for your support.

12 Comments:

  • CONGRATULATIONS!! I've been reading your archives while you were gone. I am so very happy for you two.

    Though Kristin and I didn't ever miscarry, she was told that a pregnancy would be difficult for her to carry to term even before we got pregnant. So, we spent the first entire trimester waiting for something bad to happen. And regretting that we had gotten excited and told everyone right after the first beta, just in case everything went south.

    We're due in 3 weeks. Despite all the anxiety (and very bad things hovering just above us, occassionally coming close enough to scare the bejesus out of us) we did it. I'm sure that you will too.

    Hope I'm not being too presumptuous here...

    By Blogger Trista, at 11:25 PM  

  • I just wanted to say congratulations to both of you. Hoping that you have a healthy, happy and uneventful pregnancy.

    By Blogger Sara, at 11:32 PM  

  • New spem, new chrosomal make up - LOTS Of hope, my dears!


    xoxox,
    Shelli

    By Blogger Shelli, at 11:34 PM  

  • This is Julie, Briar's friend, delurking to say CONGRATULATIONS! And also, I know it's scary. We had a lot of trouble getting pregnant, and even now at 5 months pregnant I am still pretty nervous. But you're right, each healthy day is another big step closer. I wish you both the very, very best.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:06 AM  

  • YOur fine, I agree with Shelli!
    New spermies, different genetic make-up, sounds like a good recipe for a healthy pregnancy and baby!

    Also, Stop freakin worrying, the worry and the constant "ut-oh" thoughts will (WILL) cause stress on this pregnancy, I know its difficult but be 100% positive, remember.......good ju-ju, happy thoughts, relaxing stress free days.......

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:49 AM  

  • Such wonderful news, girls! Your cautious optimism makes sense to me, so I'll be wildly hopeful for you, instead!! hope-hope-hope!!

    By Blogger deanna, at 12:01 PM  

  • eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

    LUCK!!!!

    ::crosses fingers:: (for the next 8 months...)

    By Blogger Kat, at 8:25 PM  

  • Great news on the beta front, so I hope that little glimmer of hope is growing and burning strongly.
    The EDD coincidence is certainly striking - I too would veer between terror at the freakiness of it and feeling that this really is meant to be it for you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:18 AM  

  • Sophia from FF:

    Our prayers are with you as you struggle with the fear. Haven't been in your shoes so can't imagine it

    Beautiful betas. I have a lot of hope for your little bean

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:26 AM  

  • Congratulations! Wonderful beta.

    I MORE than understand the cautious optimism having had several m/c's myself. Just try to enjoy every minute, worrying won't change anything.

    Good luck! I can't wait to read about this journey.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:04 PM  

  • That is so awesome. I am very, very happy for you guys.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 PM  

  • Congratulations (in the teeniest little voice, of course)!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home