Saturday, September 16, 2006

Solid Water

Natalie is so interested in food these days. She watches us eat with fascination, and has made multiple attempts to grab some of whatever it is that we're eating for herself. As there is a history of both diabetes and food sensitivities in Jen's family, we're trying really hard to make it to six months before starting her on solids. Today, a friend mentioned that she gave her son ice in a mesh feeder before she started solids with him. Since we had a mesh feeder already, we gave it a try tonight.



What we didn't catch on film was the excited way she grinned and wiggled for 45 minutes afterwards. As far as she was concerned, she had started solids, and it was goooood.

7 Comments:

  • I had totally forgotten about the mesh feeder! My little man just doesn't want to eat things he has to chew too much...but I think he *would* eat a banana that way -- I'm just so paranoid about the choking.

    Glad Miss Natalie enjoyed her "solid food." If you're worried about allergies, you could follow the diet outlined in the super baby food book -- we're doing a modified version of that and I absolutely love it!

    By Blogger Miss W, at 10:32 PM  

  • cuuute!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:53 AM  

  • we did that with breast milk ice cubes too- they break down into slush pretty quickly, so it's a total mess, but it's great fun for the not-yet-on-solids kidlets.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:00 PM  

  • Great idea! I've heard about the mesh feeders but don't have one. I *have* had to do the baby heimlich on Picchi a few times, so I think your idea is better. Cute photos. Hope you 3 are well!

    By Blogger lagiulia, at 12:03 PM  

  • Go Nat GO!

    We didn't start the Malka Palka Pooka Palka on solids until 6 months either. She's doing JUST great with them.

    I'm SO excited for Miss Nat!

    By Blogger Shelli, at 12:16 PM  

  • I came across your blog while browsing on blogger.
    Your daughter is just too cute for words and I have enjoyed reading.
    My daughter also loved the mesh feeder and literally wore a couple out. They come in REALLY handy for teething with ice-cubes too! I'd just fill it up with crushed ice and she just loved it. I also used my food processor to chop other fruit and put it in there - seemed to work a little better. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:28 PM  

  • Oh, how fun. The glee they show when they accomplish something or get to do something is the best! I've heard of some people freezing their milk and offering it in the feeder too. But, if she likes the water/ice that may be a good way to get her to be a good water drinker! Way to go Nat!!

    By Blogger Puppysmama, at 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home